|The Mahabharata, Vol. 8|
Translated by Bibek Debroy
[Unabridged English translation of the
Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute's
Critical Edition of the Mahabharata]
- "There cannot be a treasury without oppression and without it, how is it possible to have an army?"
- "When a kingdom goes into decline, the life of that king is one of shame."
- "There is no livelihood that exists without violence. Even a solitary sage, active and roaming in the forest, cannot manage to do that."
- "What is said about dharma is true - it does not exist where there are no riches."
- "Dharma is stained by jealousy. Artha is stained by secrecy. Kama is stained by excessive addiction."
- "The foundation of the body is dharma, and artha is based on dharma. Kama is said to be the fruit of artha."
- "Dharma must not be made to decline, but nor should one come under the subjugation of the enemy."
- "If the king's treasury is exhausted, his army will decline."
- "It is rare to find a petitioner who is satisfied with what he has got."
- "It is rarer to find a person who does not disrespect a petitioner."
- "There is nothing that is as emaciated as hope."
- "Those who are engaged in such conduct only establish that they are born from perverse ejac***."
- "When those who are separated are brought together, there is neither love, nor affection."
- "The greedy hate the poor and the weak hate the spirited. Stupid people hate learned ones and poor people hate the wealthy."
- "Some are punished for their crimes. .. But many more virtuous are harmed because of false accusations."
- "Lineage is created by conduct. The ashrama is not an indicator of dharma."
- "... when one consorts with wicked people, uttering a lie is superior to speaking the with."
- "There're are some who say that dharma is that which is laid down in the shruti..but.. everything is not laid down there."
- "One good acharya equal to ten learned brahmanas. One upadhyaya is superior to ten acharyas and the father is superior to yen upadhyayas."
- "However, a mother is superior to ten fathers."
- "Signs of wicked people. ... When others praise you, he is silent and reluctant. ... He is gracious in public and ungracious in private."
- "Use sama, dana, bheda and danda. One should not use these one at a time."
- "Large numbers of the enemy should not be immediately killed."
- "If one desires to kill an enemy, one should not disclose this."
- "After striking, one should show compassion and sorrow and weep a little."
- "Even if one has to strike, one should speak pleasant words before striking."
- "When the enemy is delighted at your hardship, I think it is a more severe sorrow than death."
- "Destiny determines this in advance and men are goaded by time."
- "You must know about two kinds of wisdom - the straight and the crooked."
- "Impose taxes so that both the king and the producer have a share in the outcome of the work."
- "It should never be such that there is no incentive for the work and the outcome."
- "Like a turtle draws in its limbs, one must protect one's own weaknesses."
- "There are are virtuous ones who are constrained by a sense of shame."
- "When many are guilty of the same crime, they can unite and blunt a thorn."
- "Whether a person is paid or is not paid, if he comes and tells you that the royal treasury is being destroyed and depleted by a minister, you must hear him in secret and protect him from ministers"
- "Ministers tend to kill such informants. All those who destroy the treasury work collectively against the one who protects the treasury."
- "You (Krishna) obtained the prosperity for yourself, but gave it away to another. Like food that had been vomited out, you are incapable of taking it back."
- "Blind trust can completely destroy dharma and artha. However, not trusting anyone is also worse than death."
- "A brahmana who does not study and a king who does not protect are ... useless..., like a cloud that does not rain."
- "If a brahmana becomes a thief in a king's kingdom, learned people think it is the king's crime."
- "A kingdom is always based on proper dispute resolution."
- "The king is the creator of krita yuga, treta and dvapara. The king is the reason behind the fourth yuga too."
- "A king should have nothing to do with someone who can neither help him nor hurt him."
- "A king makes a person confident. A king makes a small man great."
- "When a person is disrespected by his own people, the enemy disregards him."
- "A kingdom without an Indra is weak and is overwhelmed by bandits."
- "The learned day that someone who is not engaged in his own talks is not to be trusted."